Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Things Kids Say (and Moms)

Things kids say (and moms)

All our kids look at and/or read books when they lay down to go to sleep at night. Marc and Luc have graduated from the “board books” of toddlers to the “paper pages” of big kids. But they still love the board books. Lucas’s nightly request is for “a brick book, please.”
“Here’s your brick book, Luc.”

“How did they make crayons in your world, mom?” asks Marc, after watching a video clip about how crayons are made in a factory.
“You mean when I was a little girl?” I ask.
“Yeah.”
“They made them the same way they do now, in factories.”
“How did they make crayons in Jesus’ world?”
“Oh honey, they didn’t have crayons in Jesus’ world.”
Marc was shocked, "You mean Jesus didn't HAVE crayons?"

“Mom, can you tie my scape?” asks Marc. He holds up a square scarf.
“It’s a cape, Marc, say ‘cape’ “, I point to my lips just like I learned from the speech therapist.
“No, mom, I want to call it my scape, cuz I can get away FAST!”

“Mama, the clock says it’s 29 degrees! Is that enough money for ice cream?” Marc. (I think we need to work on some things….)

We have been listening to “Adventures in Odyssey” in the car these days and Tim always says, “Can we listen to Adventures in Odyssey?” the moment I get in the van. He also likes to play with rhyming words. Today he said, “Can we listen to Adventures in Modesty?”

My boys love to watch “Bibleman” (a superhero character who literally wears the armor of God). Today Marc was pretending to be “Bibleman” as he zoomed his apple bowl to the sink after snack. He held the empty bowl in his hand, lifted his arm high and declared, “The suction cup of faith!”

Lucas is my early riser. Today he sat in the kitchen by the counter all alone waiting for his oatmeal to be ready. He was talking to himself, “No, Marc, you can’t sit next to me. I don’t want to be by you. I need time A-lone.” I just listened, wondering if he was all the way awake. He stopped talking and looked around and spotted me. “Where’s Marc?” he asked. “Still sleeping,” I replied. His shoulders drooped with disappointment and he looked like he was going to cry. “Oh, I need him. He’s my best friend. Oh, I miss him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment