Thursday, April 28, 2011


Found a new word today….Tornage…..that would be the damage and the carnage left by a tornado. Devastating, life changing events have occurred in our nation’s south. I was pouring morning coffee when my husband mentioned that over 100 people had perished in Alabama.

I set my cup down quickly. “Are you serious?” was my immediate reaction and probably echoes what many were thinking this morning. Yes, tornadoes do kill people, especially in “tornado alley”, but over 100 people, no way. My mind immediately went to my southern red-headed Alabama college friend who taught me to say “y’all” the proper way.

“This is WAY bad” was my next thought as I hopped onto facebook before turning on the television. My friend was alright, but Tuscaloosa, Alabama and many other states were not. I parked in front of the TV for awhile, my dazed brain trying to take in the devastation while scenes and facts from the Twister movie paraded through my thoughts. I also thought of Dorothy and remembered assuring my nervous kids that it wasn’t real. Only this was reality, and I am certain even children lost their lives. My heart and my prayers go out to those parents and families. Perhaps you feel that same sense of dazed loss that I do this morning, that “Are you serious?” feeling. Will you respond as I did? Will you pray?

No comments:

Post a Comment