Friday, May 20, 2011

The Coming

The woman came, Samaritan by birth

To the well by divine appointment.

The Jesish man spoke to her

“Give me water.”

At first shocked, she defined the cultural taboo,

“I am a Samaritan; you are a Jew.”

“If you knew me,” he answered,

“you would want living water.”

“Are you greater than Jacob?” she asked.

Oh, yes, she knew her history.

She also knew her need.

“Living water,” the Jew mentioned it again.

She stepped closer, her errand forgotten.

“Yes, this is what I want.”

“You have had five husbands and the man you have now

Is not your husband.”

Ah, yes, he knew her history.

He also knew her need.

“Prophet, sir,” she countered with respect,

“some worshipped in the mountains

Some worshipped in Jerusalem.”

This man spoke of true worship,

“in Spirit and in truth” and of

“salvation”.

Her hopes soared at the word,

“Messiah will speak this way…” she ventured,

Her heart realizing the truth, as he answered,

“I am He.”

Spirit soaring

Waterpot abandoned

She turned, splashing through living water,

To tell others

Messiah had come.

1 comment:

  1. I also turned this into a sestina, but I like this version much better. For sestina, go to
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8074115/the_coming.html?cat=47

    ReplyDelete