Monday, December 3, 2007

Poem of the Month December

O Never Star Was Lost

O never star
was lost; here
we all aspire to heaven and there is heaven
above us.
If I stoop
into a dark tremendous sea of cloud,
it is but for a time; I press God's lamp
close to my breast; its splendor soon or late
will pierce the gloom. I shall emerge some day.

Robert Browning

This is one of my favorite poems about hope. After all, God never promised we would escape adversity when we decided to follow Jesus, yet he did say he would never leave or forsake us. For anyone who has faced a "dark, tremendous sea of cloud", you know how overwhelmed you can feel. Yet the hope in this poem is God's word, that "Lamp close to my breast". The words that will do their work, and yes, that "some day" will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment