Thursday, January 17, 2008

Guard your heart

I was at my building blocks class this Thursday, listening to our teacher teach us about parenting toddlers, our own little diamonds in the rough. She talked about:
1. discipline as training
2. being self-controlled
3. guarding your own heart, not just the heart of your child.
The last one really seemed to sink in today. Sometimes I am so concerned about the hearts of my children that I fail to see how my own heart affects them. That is, until I am completely frustrated, and God gently reminds me. Like today. The teacher talked about the importance of scripture and devotional time with God, which seemed to hit me like a brick. If there’s anything I don’t have a true abundance of, it is TIME. However, if I am not taking the time to put God’s word into myself, how do I expect it to come out of myself and influence these four beautiful little minds-in-the making? I have to have God’s word going in…not just good teaching from great Christians, not just good books, but the powerful God-breathed scripture. I am really taking this to heart. I have to have God’s word going in …in order to have it coming out…it seems rather obvious, doesn’t it? Thank you Lord, for always pointing out the obvious to me. So let me encourage you – put the word of God in and you will notice it coming out.

No comments:

Post a Comment