Thursday, January 17, 2008

Things kids say

Things kids say:

Ryan and I went away and the kids were with friends. I had sent some casserole along. When I asked Sarah what she had for dinner, she said, “We had that same thing you make Mom, but they called it a new name. They called it LEF TOVERS.”

Lucas wanted to help peel potatoes. In lieu of handling a knife, I had him pull all the potatoes out of the bag and put them out on the counter to hand to me. He seemed pleased and I decided to take a moment to teach basic math concepts. We used his “counting finger” to touch four potatoes, one, two, three, four. “Now, when mama takes this one away, you have three left.” “No, mama, I need one, two, three, four!”
“Mama needs these for dinner. Do you understand?” I proceeded to begin to peel potato #4. He just looked at me with sad eyes, “But mama, they were friends.”

There’s a song we sing called “singing makes the work go by, work go by, work go by, singing makes the work go by, when you’re singing.” I instructed Tim and Sarah to pick up their blocks and I heard them laughing and singing. Only instead of the lyrics I expected, I heard, “Working makes the sing go by…” they couldn’t get any farther than this in the song because they kept dissolving into giggles together.

Mark and Sarah were making magnet creations while I took their pictures. When I stopped to make my own creation, Mark handed me my camera and said, “Take a cheese of me, Mom, take a cheese.”

Science with six year olds. How would you answer this one? “Mom, is jelly a solid or a liquid?”

No comments:

Post a Comment