Monday, May 12, 2008

The Perfect Mother's Day


It all began with breakfast. Yes, breakfast. But not breakfast in bed. I wanted some solitude. So I went to IHOP. (IHOP?) yes, that's right. The International House of Pancakes. I adore pancakes and their chocolate, chocolate chip pancakes with whip cream on top are my favorite.
There was a 45 minute wait. At 9:30 in the morning. I put in my request for a table for one. That stopped the hostess for a moment. The room was filled with mothers and various family members, and I wanted a table for one? She flatly told me "45 minutes". I smiled, "That would be great." She did not smile back.
Not to be daunted, I purchased the actual Sunday paper. I rarely read anything beyond children's books, the Bible, and parenting books, so it was a real treat for me. I read for over an hour before they called my table for one. Mothers with small, hungry, bored children stared on with envy as I settled in to my lone booth. I took my time, I got comfortable. I spread out the paper. My waiter apologized for taking so long to get to me. I smiled, "No problem," and I ordered. He brought coffee back. (my very own pot! I love IHOP!) I read for another 40 minutes or so. He came and apologized. They got my order wrong. "That's fine, " I smiled, "I'm in no hurry." He did not smile back.
Not to be daunted, I kept reading and enjoying myself. He brought my pancakes. I ate them slowly, enjoying each bite. Do you know pancakes are actually served hot? I had more coffee, I read more articles, I relaxed. I headed out a little while later, leaving a nice tip for my waiter. I was shocked when I turned on the car and the clock said 11:55. I had been to breakfast since 9:15. Wow.
I made my way home, driving carefully as the rain came down. We need the rain anyway. It refreshes the grass. It cleanses the land and makes us appreciate the next day's rain-washed brilliance. Some days as a mom can be quite rainy. Some days are quite thunderstormy (if I can turn that into an adjective), but I am not alone in the storm. He who calms the storm calms my beating heart as well. I am a believer in Jesus. Christ in me, the hope of glory. While some days may be wet and dark and cold, that rain-washed brilliance will come. Could we truly appreciate the sunshine without the rain? As a friend pointed out, beautiful windchimes would have no song if not for the blowing wind.
Arriving home, I found a quiet house so I crawled under the covers for about 10 minutes until I heard little voices and little feet coming up the stairs. "We got you something mom! Guess." this from my six-year-old detective. "It's purple!" added my little girl, "That's a HINT," she explained to the detective. "It's POWERS!" declared Mark the moment he entered the room.
"Are they special?" Everyone nodded. "I could use some special powers." "No, they're flowers!" the older two explained as Ryan entered with these beautiful flowers.
I hope all you moms reading this had a WONDERFUL mother's day. (Also, my heart goes out to all those would-be moms. Ryan and I struggled with infertility for 6 years and mother's day was a sad, hard day for me. A day when those who meant well felt sorry for me and those who knew my heart prayed for me. So if you know a would-be mom, keep praying for her heart, especially on Mother's Day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment