Saturday, March 6, 2010

Texas Highlights


Finally, for those of you interested, the highlights of our Texas Trip:
1. The bad news is that I am a “severely affected” female carrier of XLRP. The part of my eyes where my vision loss is most severe are the best parts for driving. Genetic counselor seemed happy I had given up night driving and also strongly suggested that I only drive in ideal conditions in the middle of the day. (Only 7 short years and the Tim-taxi can drive). It was also very cool to see a 3d image of my laser-scanned retina on the computer. Technology is so amazing. The good news is that my three cousins are “mild, no symptoms, and no symptoms.” Retina Foundation of the Southwest - Dallas, Texas

2. More good news is that on the research front, great strides are being made, and the future possibility of gene replacement therapy as treatment is very exciting. The gene that carries XLRP has also been isolated and that holds the promise of genetic testing for families sometime in the future.
Other highlights:
1. Who shot JFK? Lone gunman or conspiracy? We went to “The 6th. floor”. It’s the 6th floor of the book depository building where Oswald shot the president. You can look down onto Dealey Plaza and parking is behind “the grassy knoll”. The 6th. floor is now a museum with a really cool audio tour. For you history buffs visiting Dallas, this one’s for you.
2. The Phantom of the Opera. Yes, I’ve finally seen “the Phantom”. Fabulous music. I love live theater.

1 comment: