Sunday, April 29, 2012

Yes, We Can

As a momma, I am often my own worst naysayer. Or as I like to think of it, there are little naysayers in my head telling me what I can’t do. These little guys remind me of small yellow minions who aren’t quite getting it right. I try to keep them in line, but every so often, they run rampant, telling me “you can’t write, you can’t parent, you can’t “wife”, you can’t…..While “staying positive” sounds good, have you ever tried to pin down one of these minions?

As a family, we watched “Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back” last night. My mind was still on my self-doubt as I cuddled my boys. “There is no try, there is only do or do not.” Yoda’s voice to the young Luke reminds me of this struggle we all face. I can’t simply “try” to be a good momma, I must succeed.

 Thankfully, I do have the force. No, not the mysterious mitachlorians that abide in everything and hold us all together…blah…blah…blah…and no “freeze-ray” to get my coffee in the morning. I mean the real force of the Holy Spirit available to me as a Christ follower. That mysterious voice that says, “This is the way, walk in it (Isaiah 30:21).” It’s the part of me that tosses scripture arrows at the minions. Yes, I am one of those. I apply my Christian worldview to everything from minions to Star Wars, to life in general.

 Scripture shows up everywhere. “Let your yes be yes and your no be no (Matthew 5:37),” and the ever encouraging “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding (Proverbs 3:5).” My own understanding, often minion-filled and full of wimpy “I’ll try”s….can be overcome. My children must know this reservoir of the force is available to their young Christian lives as well. My husband recently reminded me of this wonderful song. “Yes, we can.” So the next time the minions of “you can’t” are wreaking havoc in your life, fling a few arrows and enjoy the music. Yes, We Can

No comments:

Post a Comment