Friday, October 26, 2007

Reflections on Psalm 26

I read Psalm 26 this morning and thought of people I’ve talked to who sometimes feel that they don’t deserve the grace of God. God’s grace is available to all of us, praise God!

Sometimes it’s hard for someone like me to see God’s grace and appreciate it. It’s something I have always had. I have never been to a high school party or college party. No one has EVER offered me drinks or cigarettes or drugs. People just knew better. I got called Sister Christian a few times, but people knew. I always walked in integrity. (Yeah, I messed up, but for the most part, I was fine.) My friends were after me if I skipped chapel in college! I led a pretty protected life. I still do.

So I read in this psalm this morning how David says, “I am walking in integrity, vindicate me.” And later he says, “I am walking in integrity, redeem me and be gracious to me.” Even though he was walking in integrity, he acknowledged his NEED for redemption and grace. The “walk” was not the point. The walk is never the point, it’s the grace.

This struck a chord with me this morning. My hardest struggle in life was when we dealt with infertility. I know some of you have been down that road, where you just desire a child and nothing is happening. We got angry at God. We had always done the right thing…shouldn’t he bless us? This attitude was dead wrong and we learned so much about trust, and grace. (We were the older brother in the prodigal son story). We may be “walking in integrity” but we still have to humble ourselves and acknowledge the NEED for redemption and grace. What a difference that acknowledgement makes.

I think some people have a greater appreciation for God’s grace than me just because of all they’ve experienced. (like the younger son in the prodigal son story) I see God at work in other people, in their love for their kids, in their prayer requests for family and co-workers, in their sensitive spirits, in their humility and I am blessed for it!

As followers of Christ, we each have a story, a story whose focal point is our response to the grace and redemption of Christ’s sacrifice for us. It’s encouraging to be encouraged by other people’s experiences walking with God. So, keep walking and keep sharing your stories and thanks again for all of you who provide encouragement for me. Keep it coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment