Friday, April 25, 2008

When Science comes to you (IV)



"Tim, look at this branch I found in the yard. What made these holes?"

"A woodpecker did that, mom!"

"See how it's hollow inside? What was the woodpecker trying to get?"

"Bugs."

"Yes, let's set the branch aside to show Dad tonight."

Later, I heard Tim showing it to Sarah, "Sarah, what made these holes?"

"A woodpecker?"

"Yes. See how it's hollow inside? What was the woodpecker trying to get?"

"Bugs?"

"Yes. Let's set it aside to show Dad later." It made me smile to hear my lesson repeated. I love to hear my kids teaching each other.

From a few sightings last year, we think it was a downy woodpecker, but it was very high up in the tree, and hard to see. If you hear a woodpecker in your trees, it means there's a dead branch. If there's a dead branch in your tree, it's going to come down eventually. :-) For more on Michigan's woodpeckers, look here for a video from Channel 9 and 10 in northern Michigan

http://www.9and10news.com/category/story/?id=131279

No comments:

Post a Comment