Sunday, December 7, 2008

A plus B equals C?

Has anyone else noticed the a plus b equals c mentality that seems to be shaping parts of the church today? There seems to be this underlying principle that if you give, go, and do, God will bless you. There’s no untruth in that. It’s the definintion of the blessing that I struggle with.

God wants you to be healthy…okay…it sounds good, but what if I’m not? What if I’ve raised my kids “right” and they still make bad, life changing decisions? Can I thank God for that blessing?

I just think there’s too much of this—Follow God and it will be well with you.
On the surface it is true . .Does “well” mean my house is paid off, the van is paid off, and the college fund for the four kids is growing? Does “well” mean no one is sick? Or does “well” mean that if all my kids are missionaries in Africa, my husband’s gone and I’m alone at night in 40 years? Is that well?

Yes, God has blessed us, but rejoice if God calls you or your kid to be a garbage collector in India. Send them off willingly and know it is “well”.
We will struggle on this earth. You can’t appreciate the rainbow if not for the rain, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment