Monday, February 16, 2009

Happy Heart



We have all heard the term “Proud Papa” and felt that prideful feeling when our kid does something great, but isn’t pride our enemy, according to the Bible?
“Everyone who is proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord; assuredly, he will not be unpunished.” Prov. 16: 5

What do we do with parental pride? Well, it’s okay because it’s your kid? I don’t think so. Pride is a selfish, sinful disease that steals God’s glory and points directly to “I”. So, keep your parental pride in check.

When you see your kids make good choices, be glad, and be grateful, but don’t be prideful. Do people tell you “You’re a good parent. You are doing a good job.”? Don’t take the credit. Point out who is truly responsible. It is the Lord who enables us to be good parents, isn’t it?

The Bible does not say “a wise son makes a proud father.” It says, “a wise son makes a glad father.” Do you see the subtle difference? Be glad, be grateful, but avoid the trap of pride.

So, do we tell our kids, “I’m proud of you..” Should they be seeking our pride? My four-year-old recently asked me, “Mom, do I make your heart happy?” “Honey, when you make good choices, you make my heart happy and more importantly, you make God’s heart happy.”

Maybe it comes down to my own relationship with God. Do I want Him to be proud of me or do I want to make His heart happy?

1 comment:

  1. I like this one! I know that I'm not supposed to be prideful, but what else are you supposed to "feel" when there is reason to be prideful? Thanks you for putting the answer in words. Thank you, Jesus, for giving my friend Tracey, this gift!

    ReplyDelete