Sunday, November 29, 2009

Black Friday




You know how much I love shopping? NOT. So what spectacular deal could possibly entice me out to the mall on Black Friday?

Breakfast with Dad. Yep. My wonderful Dad, all to myself, albeit in a myriad of shoppers, albeit under the guise of his Christmas shopping for Mom, but yes, time without anyone but my Daddy.

Black Friday does bring interesting things to light. As you know (or you may not--you blog surfers know who you are), my dad is blind and carries the white cane. This does allow the crowds to part like the Red Sea for Moses, and the clerks are much more helpful. I can also say that I did not touch shoulders with anyone (except Dad) all day. And, who can say that while shopping on Black Friday?

But still, one of the most interesting things I noticed was while Dad and I waited in line. I saw a man who seemed out of place in the department store with his ball cap and Carhart jacket. Sure enought, I spied a tape measure at his waist. He held a nice pair of ladies pants up and looked them over front and back. Then he laid them on a display and pulled out his tape measure. He measured the waist, nodded and then flipped the pants over and measured the other side! He smiled approvingly, zipped his tape measure shut and returned it to his belt without looking. He waltzed off with an air of satisfaction about him. I thought to myself, "sizes, schmizes, all ya need is a good tape measure!" I also thought, what a guy! completely out of his element, and finding a present for someone he loves, isn't that sweet?

When I shared this story with my grandma, her reaction was completely different than my thoughts. She said, "Well, I sure hope he measured the inseam!"

No comments:

Post a Comment