Tuesday, November 24, 2009


Have you ever seen that classic movie "Overboard" with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell? She's a rich debutante who treats the sweaty carpenter terribly, but then she falls off her boat, loses her memory and the carpenter picks her up and claims her as his wife. He lives in a disaster zone with four boys, and she is so lost, it's hilarious. There's a scene where she is attempting to cook a chicken in a pot on the stove and half the body and toes are sticking out of the pot. She keeps rearranging the feet and mumbling, "I feel as if I've never done this before in my life."


Today, I am roasting my first turkey. I've read lots of articles, and been properly intimidated by Lynn Casberger's splendid table and the GOOD EATS scientist guy, so I think I'm ready to unwrap the package in the fridge. I don't relish the idea of touching raw meat. I read about how to rinse and even rub the turkey to clean off any bacteria. Ugh...I need gloves. I read about giblets (disgusting) and found the meat thermometer so this is it. Gulp. That scene from the movie keeps floating through my mind. "I feel as if I've never done this before in my life."

No comments:

Post a Comment