Sunday, December 13, 2009


Weekly Wrap Up of our Homeschooling Week
(This is a new feature to my blog I borrowed from a friend, I hope I can keep it up. It will be under the Weekly Wrap Up Label)

A blizzard blew in this week, and public school was closed, but not the Westphal Academy. We actually moved school upstairs this week to a card table in Sarah's room. (Her dresser is now in the boys' room.) Our downstairs gets really chilly in the winter so this gives us a new environment for a season.
My base curriculum since starting schooling is Accelerated Achievement. It's based on grade level and goes K-12. It has lots of literature, and as you homeschoolers know, curriculum is only a suggestion. I can add and subtract what I want to meet the needs of my family. I really enjoy the phonics program and so far, all of my children have enjoyed learning to read by using this method. There are cards to print and games to play. I just started it with Marc and Luc. I had forgotten how fun and easy it really is.
Each day this week, Tim and Sarah did their reading lesson, including a McGuffey reader lesson, and vocabulary words to learn and spell. There is quite a literature list (which I love) and we are currently reading Alice in Wonderland (this is on CD in the car). We also read Heidi, Charlotte's Web and Little House on the Prairie this fall. So, the weather outside is frightful, but inside it's so delightful, and since we've no place to go, let us learn, let us learn, let us learn!
Tuesdays and Thursdays are Science days and we are currently learning about Invertebrates. My power point is currently not working and the kids miss doing their reports that way. We are actually writing things down. Not much fun.
On Saturday we had a movie day. We read "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," earlier this year (on CD in the van) so we watched the movie. We all enjoyed it.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to Weekly Wrap-Up! Have you checked out the other ones that I link to in my weekly wrap-ups? I usually read and/or skim a few of those. My friend always does a weekly wrap-up too. Her blog is the Giggly Girls one. She does neat activities, especially with her toddler which shows up as "Toddler School" on her blog.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete