Saturday, November 8, 2008


My grandma broke her toe. But this story is not about Grandma. It’s about me, again. (Deep down, we are all such selfish creatures. Hopefully, we are battling to put others first, if we are striving to be true Christ followers).

My grandma broke her toe. So I stopped by to help her out. (The kids all watched T.V. They LOVE to visit Grandma Doris). Grandma took a shower. She didn’t want to do this when she was home alone. I started laundry and swept and mopped the floor. I continued to watch the sky as the afternoon wore on. I began to lament the time change, the darkness, and of course, my impending curfew. (Please note, my deteriorating vision makes night driving far too dangerous for me, my family, other motorists, and pedestrians).

I had to hurriedly pack up the kids and leave with stubborn, damp towels still in the dryer. Arghh…I gave Grandma strict instructions not to attempt the stairs in her condition. Then I prevailed upon the gem of a man I married to stop by after work and finish my grandmother’s laundry. He lovingly complied. (I love this man). But as I drove home in the gloom, I sighed at my doom. (Hey, did you catch that rhyme? Too much Dr. Seuss in my life at this time).

As I grew sad about my vision loss, I tried to cheer myself up by playing the comparison game. You know the game…it could be worse, I could already be blind…my kids could have cancer….my husband could be dead…etc..etc.. This never works as a source of encouragement. It’s just too self-centered. Today I was cheered up by a true source of encouragement, the WORD OF GOD (I say this in my best BIBLEMAN voice).

If you are familiar with pro-life literature, you’ve probably read this verse countless times, “For you formed my inward parts, you wove me in my mother’s womb.” Psalm 139:13. Well, it wasn’t that one. It’s the two verses before it that provided me with peace this morning and reassurance about who is really in charge of our lives. I will close with these verses and pray that they encourage you in your “darkness.”

“If I say, ‘Surely the darkness will overwhelm me, and the light around me will be night.’ Even the darkness is not dark to YOU, and the night is as bright as the day. Darkness and light are alike to you.” Psalm 139:11, 12.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for popping by! I'd love to hear where you saw the Don't Call Me Veronica t-shirt. :)

    Hope Grandma's toe is healing!

    ReplyDelete