Sunday, May 3, 2009


Marcus dripped milk from his cereal on his clothes this morning. “Huh,” the four year old observed, holding up another spoonful of Cheerios, “there must be a hole in the spoon.”

Sometimes we get so busy looking for the source of the problem that we don’t realize it was our own mistake that got us there in the first place. Sometimes I wish there was a “hole in my spoon”.
Instead, I need to admit my mistakes. My kids don’t make me raise my voice. “That was me. I did that. Sorry.” Teaching “sorry” to my kids is more than teaching “bummer,” it’s modeling repentance. “I’m sorry” means I am going to try my hardest not to let that happen again. So if I’m apologizing for yelling, the yelling needs to change. My kids don’t really “drive me crazy”, I made the decision to go there.

Is there a hole in your spoon today? Nope. Flip the spoon over and look at the back. Do you see your image? Your image is a likeness of your creator. You belong to God and if you have accepted Christ’s blood sacrifice for you, you are FORGIVEN, and you are not alone. God will be with you. I don’t change on my own, but it is Christ within me. Yep, I’m going to make mistakes, but I am going to be truly sorry and try my hardest not to let that happen again.

1 comment: