Friday, May 15, 2009


Things are not always what they seem. We own one of these large crockery jugs. Ryan and I bought it in our first years of marriage from an antique store, and we keep our change in it. (That was when we actually went to antique stores). In those first years, we didn't have any kids and the only thing in the jug was actual coinage. Today it is a different story.
Imagine yourself a four-year-old, imagine the tempting dark recesses of the antique jug. See how temptaion is located conveniently at eye-level. Imagine what wonderful sounds would emanate from its interior once you dropped something, anything, into its depths. You step closer. You notice the marble in your hand. Your hand moves before you realize it. You watch the small glass ball disappear and hear a satisfying thump as it lands somewere inside. Your mind turns. You begin to wonder, what else? What else? It beats out it's tempting mantra as you search for...oh look, another marble....
I emptied out the jug recently and I did find some change. I also found several other interesting items, including a butter knife from the kitchen, several ink pens, and surprise, a necklace from my grandmother I was certain I had lost. There were a few dominoes, two matchbox cars, and at least SIXTEEN, yes, SIXTEEN marbles. It was a little tough to get out the drumsticks from the toy drum... At this point, I became weary of hefting the jug. It is not a light object. Since I had some coinage out, I put the jug back. The next day, Ryan says to me, "You won't believe what I found when I emptied the change out of the jug."
I smile and briefly wonder what to say. I decide on "Do tell," raising my eyebrows in an interested manner.
"They put forks in there. Actual forks!" I smile as he adds to the list. He did find several interesting items, including hair barrettes, ink pens, and forks from the kitchen. There were candy wrappers, a few dollar bills (yeah!) and yes, even a pair of white panty-hose. Things are not always as they seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment