Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Ruined Waistband


The Ruined Waistband

The human brain loves illustrations. We like stories that make a point, poetry that must be tasted, and even jokes and riddles that make us laugh. Humanity was designed this way. From the parables of Jesus to the fables of Aesop, we love those “aha” moments.

The Word of God is sometimes like that big box of your great great aunt’s jewelry that “you kids are allowed to play with carefully” when you visit great grandma’s house and all the grownups want to do is talk, talk, talk. Inevitably, you discover that one beautiful piece you hadn’t seen last time and its beauty delights your sense of touch and sight.

An avid Bible reader for decades, today I touched a jewel. In Jeremiah 13, Jeremiah bought a beautiful linen waistband and wore it for awhile. Then he hid it in rocks by the Euphrates River and later, retrieved it. It was ruined.

Verse 10 says, “This wicked people, who refuse to listen to My words, who walk in the stubbornness of their hearts and have gone after other gods to serve them, let them be just like this waistband, which is totally worthless.”

I can see Jeremiah, stretching forth the ruined waistband, seeking desperately for the people to turn their hearts to God.

I do not want to walk in the stubbornness of my heart.

I do not want to serve other gods of my own making.

I want to be wrapped tightly to the waist of God, to cling to His truth and justice, for His praise and glory.

I want to listen and obey. I want to be fine linen, and not a ruined waistband.

No comments:

Post a Comment