Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Wink from Heaven


Don’t you love accidental Bible look ups? I think they may be God’s way of making us smile, kind of a wink from heaven.

My first remembrance of an accidental look up was when I was a teenager and that awful boy, Ryan, broke my heart and broke up with me AGAIN! I cried and cried and my friend encouraged me by sending me little slips of paper with Bible verses like Psalm 147:3, “He heals the broken-hearted, binding up their wounds.” But that wasn’t my favorite…I’m not sure what she originally intended, but I looked up Hebrews 7:17, “You are a priest forever in the order of Melchisedec.” Given my very limited knowledge of scriptural types and shadows in eschatology, et cetera, and having no idea how to pronounce Mel-kis-a, Mel-chis-a…..it just made me laugh.

I called my friend immediately to ask her if she knew that we could be priests forever in the order of Mel-cheese-a-deek. This verse became a standard of encouragement between us for years. I think God was winking at me back then and winks at me still. (After all, He is the creator of my individual slightly warped sense of humor).

Recently, I headed to Galatians for a word of encouragement after a particularly difficult day dealing with those other human beings on the planet. (I can tell from your expression that you’ve met them too.) I was headed for Galatians 5:25, “if you live by the Spirit walk by the Spirit”. That one seemed to fit right in with how I was feeling toward those people. You know, a “just keep swimming” verse.

Instead I turned to Galations 5:15, which was actually much more convicting of my own attitude and actions. It stated, “But if you bite and devour one another, take care that you are not consumed by one another.” Ouch.

Perhaps that one was a wink AND a reprimand. So next time you have an accidental look up, take a moment and reflect. It may have, indeed, been intentional on the part of Him who created you and knows you best.

No comments:

Post a Comment