Saturday, March 19, 2011

Your Move

"Poets do not go mad; but chess-players do." ~Gilbert Keith Chesterton, Orthodoxy

Recently, (okay, not THAT recently), I visited a Christian coffee shop I love and played Scrabble with the man. If you have ever played Scrabble with the man you will know that he is a canny strategist who must weigh each decision. For him, scrabble is chess. This leaves a little down time between moves for me.

So I wandered to the books...bible, bible, Dobson,...a few others, but Nooo christian poetry...(well, other than the Bible, psalms, parts of the prophets, etc...) Not even good old dependable Helen Steiner Rice. What a travesty!

I was a little disappointed. I told the man. He muttered something about getting a z on the triple word score and didn't even make eye contact....I decided I must get some Christian poetry over here soon. Young minds are being deprived!

Later, when I returned home, I realized I did not want to part with any of my Christian poetry books. I love my Elizabeth Rooney, my Lucy Shaw, my Ruth Calkin, and even my Robert Frost (a small well worn paperback book I left at a park somewhere, arghh...must replace that soon). This resolve may be more costly than I'd supposed...

Good intentions sometimes lie dormant....no, I have not yet made my poetry delivery, but I found a wonderful poem to share today....if not with the coffee shop goers, then at least with my own little blog world.

It's Your Move

All through the long dreary hours
Of this rough toilsome day
I have struggled to believe
That Your plan is good
that the blows and bruises
Will stablish me
That the staggering changes
Will settle me.
I have struggled to believe
That Your way is perfect.

But waiting here alone
Shrouded in thick loneliness
I confess I don't see it.
Frankly I just don't see
That Your way is perfect.
And now I hear You say
I didn't say you would see it--
I only said--it is.
So, Lord, it's Your move.
Good-night.

By Ruth Harms Calkin


2 comments:

  1. My thoughts exactly. Thanks for sharing this, Tracey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Tracey I so needed to read this tonight and know that I am not the only one feeling the way I do!
    Blessings!
    P.s I love my poetry books too and my hubby just cannot understand why I have so many books...well in 50 years of my life I have collected a few and do not like to part with any...thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete