Tuesday, February 2, 2010

God, in His infinite wisdom, gave children only two commandments:
1. Honor your father and mother (Exodus 20:12a) ATTITUDE
2. Obey your parents (Ephesians 6:1) ACTIONS
Matthew 18 points out that we are all children of God. So these children’s commandments apply to us as well. Our children will see us honor and obey God in our lives, especially if we share how we are honoring and obeying God. They need to hear and see our actions. We are not perfect parents, but we need to be an arrow pointing them to God.

I think sometimes we spend so much time trying to be "perfect parents" instead of being real parents. Do I share all my struggles with my eight-year-old son? Certainly not. But I do want him to see me go to God for forgiveness when I make mistakes. I do want to share why we all, even parents, need God's grace in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment