Saturday, February 20, 2010



I didn’t get as much school accomplished as I intended. (I seem to write this every week—perhaps I need to review my goals so I am actually achieving them.) Coughing kids this week didn’t help things either.

Highlight: Tim and Sarah read chapter books all by themselves! We have some Magic Tree House books, which despite the “magic” have great history lessons and accompanying study guides. Random House Kids Magic Tree House
(Our local bookstore also did a class for homeschoolers based on this series a couple years ago..I keep hoping they’ll bring it back). Anyway, we have about four of these books on the bookshelves, and the kids came down and told me they each were reading one. That’s great, kids. I tucked them into bed so I could watch the Olympics. At 10:00, Tim came downstairs with his book. “Mom, guess what! I finished the WHOLE book!” He was so excited and I was so surprised and proud, that I had to pretend it was only 8:30. We’ve also listened to these on audio from the library.
We use Accelerated Achievement Accelerated Achievement
as our base curriculum and add to it as necessary. It’s nice to have a baseline. They use McGuffey readers http://www.mcguffeyreaders.com/important.htm
and next week, Sarah will finish the 2nd. grade reader and Tim will finish the 3rd. grade reader. I am very proud of them both. I love to hear them read their lessons out loud. Some days I am just amazed that they can read. I now have Tim asking if he can read over my shoulder. “Mom, can I please read what you are typing?”
For Science (Tuesdays and Thursdays), we put our reports into PowerPoint. That way, they can present to Dad.

For my kindergartners, we are tracing letters 3 days a week, doing phonics, and lots of counting. I also need to incorporate daily games for these guys too. I find it best to do school with them in the early morning, starting with a book and related lesson of some sort. I really enjoyed Before Five in a RowFive in A Row Literature-Based Studies with Tim and Sarah and I am just finishing it with Marc and Luc. I love anything that’s literature based.
Friday morning is “Library Day” each week, and all four of my kids fill up all four of the kids computers at the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment