Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Just add water



Can we raise Christians? Can we turn our kids out in molds like little faith-replicas of ourselves? Of course not. Have you noticed how parents of adults seem to take the credit for their child’s salvation and good choices? But if the kids made some “bad choices”, then… “he’s an adult and those were his choices to make”…Hmm…
If someone compliments your parenting, do you take the credit, or do you give it to whom it’s due? (Ouch)

Wow! Their kids turned out great. They must be great parents. Hmmm…always ask the why…what made them good parents…can good parents have kids that turn out bad? It’s not the parents that are the point. It’s the GOOD God they serve. I know that if I had not given my life to Jesus, my world-view and my parenting would be very different than it is. Am I a good parent? That’s not the point. I serve a GOOD God.

I don’t think I have ever met a true follower of Christ who could not point to a time or a moment in their life when they made the choice to give it all to Jesus. I have a couple of those times in my life, as a thirteen year old girl and again, at fifteen. Choices. I cannot manufacture those experiences for my child. God made my children; He knows them best; He knows what experiences are in store for them. He even knows, ultimately, what choice they will make.

So I can pray, prepare, but never presume they are “Christian” because I am. I will follow my Christ, and pray that those life-changing moments aren’t too painful for my children. I pray they will make the right choice when that moment arrives. I also recognize I may not be a part of that moment or even know about it until they are older. My parents raised me in a Christian home, made me go to church when I didn’t want to, but my moment was all my own. They didn’t even know about it until years later.

Still, I knew they loved me unconditionally. I knew they prayed for me. Ultimately, however, what mattered most was GOD’S love for me, his grace for me, his sacrifice on the cross, his plans for my surrendered life. So parents, be encouraged—pray, prepare, but never presume.

No comments:

Post a Comment