Saturday, March 7, 2009




The Perfect Date (in three parts)

My husband is sooo good to me.
The first gift. Last evening, I had the wonderful privilege of meeting an artist as his own studio. This was very exciting to me. I love to look at great art. Paintings of intense, accurate color and depth where the artist has captured the impossible and now you, the viewer, get to see it. It’s like stopping a waterfall or actually holding fog in your hand.. Artists capture something. I loved looking at his work.

The lighting was so perfect. You can tell this is NOT his hobby, it’s his passion. That kind of experience is refreshing, and exhilarating. I think it’s why people like art museums. It’s like that tall, cold lemonade after mowing the lawn in July. It’s like that first shower after a week of camping. It’s like riding your bike for the first time in seven years. It’s like spring after winter…(oops, I’m getting carried away….sorry).
It’s a unique experience to look at a piece, comment and compliment it and have the artist say “Thank you.” It was great to hear him talk about his work. You could tell it was his heart, and his God-given passion.
Artist Details

The second gift
They live in a beautiful old school house. Yes, it’s one of those places you drive by and wonder what it’s like to live there. I actually got to go inside! (my mom is going to be envious of that one). They originally had a 30 foot ceiling in there. It still has the original chalkboards, flooring and walls. They have even had older persons stop by and ask to see inside, mentioning that they went to school there. Karen even said, “They always go right to their own spot and say, ‘this is where my desk was.’”. Her current goal is refitting the ceiling with pressed tin as it was originally. It was a real treat for me to be there. They homeschool their children so she has been able to teach her children in the same room where the children of Civil War soldiers learned their ABC’s.

The third gift (yes, I saved the best for last)
It was simply listening to this couple’s faith in the Lord. They told story after story of Jehovah-Jireh, God our provider. Randy shared how God broke his pride, gently prodding, “Will you let ME bless you?” Karen shared how they ate the last dinner in the cupboards and gathered the children together to pray for their next dinner, asking and believing God would provide. An hour and a half later, a family knocked on their door and brought in bag after bag of unasked-for food. They filled the couch and beyond with food. While Karen and Randy were in tears, the children took it right in stride. They prayed, God provided. A simple faith. Ryan and I also shared many of the ways God has taught us through the years, and it was a very encouraging, uplifting, and edifying evening.

So, thank-you, man I married, for my date. I adore you.

No comments:

Post a Comment